Thursday, June 22, 2006

How Do Others Know We are Christians?


Isaiah 49:15-16 says, "...even these forget, but I will not forget you. Behold I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands; Your walls are continually before Me." As I have been pondering this scripture with my bible study crew I've also been contemplating God's marks on my life. God said we are inscribed on His hand, but how does someone know that the Lord is inscribed on my heart? What do they see in myself and others that shows the Lord? What do you think? I have an illustration of the mighty hand of the Lord (even in the small stuff) for you.

Some of my family were travelling back on the East Coast for a few days. On their return journey they had to take several forms of public transportation to access the International Airport. Just as they were boarding the last bus (with all luggage etc...in tow) my brother-in-law drew in a deep sharp breath and realized he had left his backpack on the metro they had just deboarded. Quick plans which involved him sprinting back up to the platform, talking withMetro security, removing luggage from the bus they were about to board etc...ensued. While family members waited and revamped plans he boarded another metro trying to track down this backpack. Why was he so concerned? Well, all his camera equipment, IPOD, and headphones were in the backpack. At this point in the story the backpack is zooming around the Washington DC area. Discouragement set in.

He found his way back to the family and they made their way to the airport and the flight back home. He realized on the plane that his car keys (which he needed to be able drive the 3 hours home from the Bay Area) were also in his backpack. Very fortunately, his phone and wallet were connected to him and they were able to make other car arrangements.

After a very long day of travel and frustration they made it back home. A little sleep and a return trip to the airport (yes, 3 more hours) for my brother in law to pick up their car. As he was travelling back up to the Bay Area my sister receives a call from her sister-in-law. Someone had found the backpack! How did she know? Well, there wasn't any Id in the backpack (which is highly unusual for my bro in law as he is a seasoned traveller). There was a phone number and his bible! The phone number was his nieces phone in New York. The man who had the pack phoned her and she took it from there.

Now the rest of the story....My bro in law contacted the man. He is a believer! He couldn't locate any ID but saw the bible and assumed the owner knew the Lord! He wasn't comfortable returning the pack to Metro (that sure is bothersome) and chose to track down the owner himself. He did and has sent it to my brother in law.

It is just stuff....temporal value at best. The Lord used a believer to protect the belongings and encourage all of us. 1 Cor 3:12-13 says, "Now if any man builds on the foundation with Gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay straw each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work." Praise the Lord!!

No comments: