Friday, July 28, 2006

Hiking the Mountains


My two sons and I spent last Monday morning hiking one of the mountains in our area (Bishops Peak). It was hot! It was time well spent, though. It is different just spending time with the boys. Their energy, talk, humor, and spirit is different from 'the girls'. We have made a habit this summer of trying to hike once a week, swim once a week, and we now have added a bike ride. It has been good.

I was talking loosely with the boys on Romans 5:3-5. "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proved character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." With the boys I was talking about perseverance but this morning I was focusing on what that scripture says about hope. "...hope does not disappoint." I realize the I am good at following the above reference but stop short on the disappointment part. If we hope than it does not disappoint. Does that mean we aren't disappointed? No, it just means because of the love of God we have His spirit and that should frame our disappointments. That is what really proves our character.

No comments: