Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sex God


Ok....did that title get your attention? I'm onto a new book. My tight christian boundaries are seemingly being refined and broadened at the same time. It is an interesting dichotomy. How familiar are you with Rob Bell? I did not know of him but listened to him this morning on a video in prepping to read the book Sex God. Now I know you are asking what this book is really about. I'm not totally sure but this is from the intro:

"Something deeper. Something behind it all. You can't talk about sexuality without talking about how we were made. And that will inevitably lead you to who made us. At some point you have to talk about God. Sex. God. They're connected. And they can't be separated. Where the one is, you will always find the other. This is a book about how sexuality is the "this" and spirituality is the "that". To make sense of the one, we have to explore the other. And that is what this book is about."

Interesting.....I'm teaching on sexuality in the Winter. I'm interested to see if the Lord uses this book to broaden my perspective or refine it.

Are you familiar with Nooma. Really cool short movies (8-10 minutes) by this pastor Rob Bell. I watched one with a friend this morning. Incredibly relevant and thought provoking. It was about breathing. Yep.....breathing and how God lives in our breaths. A great presentation of the Gospel without you realizing it. You got to watch it. Go see the folks at the Parable and pick up a couple. Our church should be viewing these in small groups....the discussion will take off.

No comments: