Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Are you Reading an Interesting Book?

Do any of you actually have time to read? I mean the hold the book in your hand, feel the cover, smell the pages type of reading. I'm not a fiction reader. Most of the reading I do seems to always be for a purpose.

OK....sidebar....when in Disneyland a few weeks ago we went on a new ride. It is the new Buzz Lightyear ride. My boys in particular would have loved it. You sit in these little cars that go through a building in chase of some bad action hero. Each car has two handheld blasters. There are targets up all over the place and you point your laser at them and shoot. I got off the ride and said to my husband, "No women were involved with the design of this ride." He had a big smile on his face and said, "I know". I asked him how he knew and he said, "Because there is no purpose to the ride!! Isn't that great!"

Allright back to the post....A friend suggested a book to me that deals with the topic of trust. Here is a quote:

"Craving clarity, we attempt to eliminate the risk of trusting God. Fear of the unknown path stretching ahead of us destroys childlike trust in the Father's active goodness and unrestricted love. We often presume that trust will dispel the confusion, illuminate the darkness, vanquish the uncertainty, and redeem the times. But the crowd of witnesses in Hebrews 11 testifies that this is not the case. Our trust does not bring final clarity on this earth. It does not still the chaos or dull the pain or provide a crutch. When all else is unclear, the heart of trust says, as Jesus did on the cross, 'Into your hands I commit my spirit.' (Luke 23:46)"

What do you think? The book is titled Ruthless Trust, by Brennan Manning. You can pick it up at the Parable.

No comments: