Thursday, June 28, 2007

Transitions Mark Time



I had posted earlier regarding our transitional summer with my 5 year old. What I didn't write about is how we are also transitioning on the other end with our soon to be 12 year old. While he has already been in middle school for a year he now transitions in our church to Youth Group. He had his first Sunday 'downstairs' this past week. He was very excited to note that donuts and juice would be present EVERY week. Last night was his first evening with Youth Group. He had a good time and felt comfortable there. It was interesting to note him mention that he knew most of the boys, but not many of the girls. It is a social quagmire and he will have to learn how to navigate in it. He leaves for Hume Lake Church Camp in a week. Parts of Psalm 91 have been in his room since birth and it has always been my prayer for him...

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress. My God, in whom I trust" For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. You will not be afraid of the terror by night, Or of the arrow that flies by day; Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall no approach you. You will only look on with eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. For you have made the Lord, my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place. No evil will befall you, Nor will any plague come near your tent. For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways. They will bear you up in their hands, That you do not strike your foot against a stone. You will trad upon the lion and cobra, The young lion and the serpent you will trample down. Because he has love Me, therefor I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation."


I used to be anxious for this time period of the adolescent. Maybe I am naive, but isn't every stage of life complete with challenges and changes? I'm looking forward to the man Joey is becoming. He is looking forward to the man he is becoming. I believe that desire to be God given. He will be a Daniel in this generation.

No comments: